Spain holidays: Canary Islands holiday bookings surge as Britons eye cheap half term deals | Travel News | Travel

Last night, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announced that the Canary Islands, Maldives, Denmark and the Greek island of Mykonos would be removed from the quarantine list. The move has sparked holiday hope for Britons who have been largely restricted due to the UK quarantine rules and entry restrictions put in place by other countries. Bookings have reportedly surged for holidays to the Canary Islands since last night’s announcement.

Visits to the section on their site increased by a massive 754 percent from October 21 to October 22.

The biggest increase in searches was for Tenerife with beach spots Los Cristianos, Costa Adeje and Playa De Las Americas being the most popular.

Hays Travel will be resuming holidays to the Canary Islands from October 24 from Manchester, with flights from Newcastle available from October 30.

Following the latest travel corridor announcement, British Airways Holidays has announced a new offer to those looking for a holiday in the Canary Islands.

The company’s director Andrew Flintham said addition of the islands on the travel corridor list was a “positive step forward for our business.”

He also urged ministers to continue to work with the travel sector on airport testing so other destinations can be opened up to Britons.

He added: “We must move away, where possible, from the anxiety our industry faces waiting for the new list of places people can travel to each week.

“This level of uncertainty is damaging for business and all those employed in our industry.”

Thomas Cook also added holidays to the Canaries on its website.

Nicky Kelvin, Head of Content at the The Points Guy said the Canary Islands being added back to the safe list is good news for Britons but that there are still risks for holidaymakers.

He said: “The removal of the Canary Islands from the travel quarantine list is great news for holidaymakers, but also highlights the current uncertainty of the travel industry.

“Following the announcement of air bridges back in July, we’ve seen a surge in bookings as Brits look to finally enjoy some sun abroad.

“However, as we’ve seen on a weekly basis since their implementation, the ever-changing list has caused confusion for travellers as countries swing from being ‘unsafe’ to ‘safe’ and back again.

“The latest additions including the Canaries and Maldives do provide a viable option for winter sun and booking with a company that offers very flexible options in terms of refunds, changes and cancellations means you could attempt a holiday soon.

“Unfortunately for those looking to book now, there’s still the risk the islands could be removed again in a few weeks.

“We saw the same situation with Portugal last month, and in the case the FCO removes a safe destination again and you are not covered by a flexible policy, it’s always best to wait for your operator to cancel rather than doing it yourself.

“If this happens, you are legally entitled to a refund.

“You may be offered travel vouchers, a change of holiday or a Refund Credit Note instead of a cash refund, so make sure you pick what choice is best for you.

“As always, make sure to double-check your travel insurance before you travel – most policies have changed since the pandemic began to exclude situations like these.

“If you wish to cancel a holiday that booked before the pandemic began, that hasn’t been cancelled by the operator and the FCO isn’t advising against travel, you are not automatically entitled to claim on your insurance if you have to abandon your trip, so it’s worth checking how flexible the policy is with your travel company.

“Also remember, in the case the FCO advises against non-essential travel, your travel insurance will likely be invalid whilst on your trip if you do decide to travel, and in the case something goes wrong, you’ll may be paying out of pocket.”

Source Article