Table of Contents
The South Carolina Gamecocks (2-2, 2-2 SEC) travel to Baton Rouge, La., to meet the LSU Tigers (1-2, 1-2) in a Saturday night game at Tiger Stadium. Saturday’s contest is slated for a 7 p.m. ET kickoff. Below, we analyze the South Carolina-LSU college football betting odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
South Carolina at LSU: Betting odds and lines
Odds via BetMGM; access USA TODAY Sports’ betting odds for a full list. Lines last updated Thursday at 2:25 p.m. ET.
- Money line : South Carolina +175 (bet $100 to win $175) | LSU -218 (bet $218 to win $100)
- Against the spread/ATS : South Carolina +6 (-110) | LSU -6 (-110)
- Over/Under : 54.5 (O: -110 | U: -110)
South Carolina at LSU: Three things to know
- LSU QB Myles Brennan (leg) is doubtful for this contest. The Tigers signal caller has thrown for 1,112 over just three games. Brennan is backed up by two freshmen in Max Johnson and TJ Finley. Both are highly regarded, but neither has attempted a forward pass.
- South Carolina has a solid ground weapon in sophomore RB Kevin Harris. With 20-plus carries over each of the last three games, Harris gets plenty of opportunities. He clocked a 171-yard game at Vanderbilt two weeks back and on the season owns a 5.0 yards per carry average. Harris has also had a nose for the end zone and has scored a touchdown in each of four games with a total of six rushing TDs on the year.
- The Tigers have been uncommonly bad in converting on third-down opportunities, and the Gamecocks have been incredibly stingy on third-down defense. LSU ranks 71st in the nation with a 23.1% success rate on the penultimate down. USC ranks seventh in FBS play, holding teams to a 27.7% mark.
Get some action on this game or any other matchup with a legal, online bet at BetMGM in CO, IN, NJ and WV. Risk-free first bet up to $500, paid in free bets. Terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
South Carolina at LSU: Odds, betting lines and picks
LSU 28, South Carolina 21
Money line (ML)
The third-down numbers for both teams provide some hidden numbers which are overcooked on the South Carolina side and undercooked on the LSU side. The third-down efficiencies tend to have some natural bounce-back, and the effect is significant. The LEAN IS TOWARD LSU (-218), and the price isn’t too far out of whack. A tag around -210 has decent value for a night game in Death Valley.
Against the spread (ATS)
PASS. South Carolina was outgained by nearly 200 yards in its game against Auburn, but the Gamecocks benefited by a plus-2 turnover margin. LSU has a much higher talent ceiling with its recruiting base, but the quarterback question makes for too much variability in how the Tigers might get and hold a 10-14-point lead.
These two teams have combined to produce 16 takeaways already, and that’s a number which feels like it’s due for some regression. Figure on some longer fields for both offenses and some conservatism creeping into both game plans. BACK THE UNDER 54.5 (-110).
Want some action on this game? Place a legal, online bet in CO, IN, NJ and WV atBetMGM now. For more sports betting picks and tips, visit SportsbookWire.com. Please gamble responsibly.
Additional college football coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Alabama football / Auburn football / Florida football / Georgia football / LSU football / Michigan football / Michigan State football / Notre Dame football / Ohio State football / Oklahoma football / Tennessee football / Texas football / USC football / Wisconsin football
Follow SportsbookWire on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.