Table of Contents
Above video: Beaufort County students return to the classroom
Here you can get the latest information on the coronavirus, or COVID-19, in Georgia and South Carolina and resources to be prepared and keep your family safe.
Sign up for our Newsletters
- South Carolina: 3,487 confirmed deaths, 159,433 positive cases
- Georgia: 7,674 confirmed deaths, 342,438 confirmed cases
What’s New: Week of Oct. 19, 2020
- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the planet has surpassed 40 million, but experts say that is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the true impact of the pandemic that has upended life and work around the world.
- The U.S., India and Brazil are reporting by far the highest numbers of cases — 8.1 million, 7.5 million and 5.2 million respectively — although the global increase in recent weeks has been driven by a surge in Europe, which has seen over 240,000 confirmed virus deaths in the pandemic so far.
- From factory to syringe, the world’s most promising coronavirus vaccine candidates need non-stop sterile refrigeration to stay potent and safe. But despite enormous strides in equipping developing countries to maintain the vaccine “cold chain,” nearly 3 billion of the world’s 7.8 billion people live where temperature-controlled storage is insufficient for an immunization campaign to bring COVID-19 under control.
- International air traffic is down 92% this year as travelers worry about catching COVID-19 and government travel bans and quarantine rules make planning difficult. One thing airlines believe could help is to have rapid virus tests of all passengers before departure.
Slow the Spread: CLICK HERE to read the CDC guidelines on coronavirus
Visit our special section for more information.
Below video: A Few Ways Millennial Travel Is Set to Change as Coronavirus Lockdowns Are Lifted
READ THE FULL STORY:CORONAVIRUS IN GEORGIA, SOUTH CAROLINA: Latest numbers by state and county
CHECK OUT WJCL:Get the latest Savannah news. WJCL gives you online, anytime access to the biggest Georgia news and Lowcountry weather of the day.