The Carolina Panthers have added Mike Horton to their active roster, putting the former Auburn guard in line to make his NFL debut on Sunday.
Horton joined the Panthers as an undrafted rookie in the offseason. He didn’t survive the cut for the regular-season roster after training camp, but Carolina re-signed him for its practice squad.
On Saturday, the Panthers elevated Horton from the practice squad as a COVID-19 replacement under rules adopted by the NFL to navigate through the 2020 season during the coronavirus pandemic.
Carolina has three players on reserve/COVID-19 – cornerback Rasul Douglas, center Tyler Larsen and guard Michael Schofield.
Horton arrived at Auburn as an offensive tackle. He made seven starts at left guard as a sophomore before handling right guard during the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
The Panthers visit the New Orleans Saints at noon CDT Saturday for an NFC South game. FOX affiliates in Alabama are scheduled to televise the game.
If Horton is among the 48 game-day actives for Carolina, he’ll be wearing No. 66.
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.
· Josh Jacobs has Hall of Fame mentor
· Jonathan Jones looking good for Patriots
· Julio Jones to Atlanta Falcons: ‘Lean on me’
· Eagles pull out NFC East win over Giants
· A’Shawn Robinson on way back for Los Angeles Rams
· NFL Week 7: No. 1 rushing defense meets No. 1 rusher in unbeaten showdown
· Miami QB change surprises Tua Tagovailoa, shocks Ryan Fitzpatrick
· Dolphins coach explains decision to promote Tua Tagovailoa to starting quarterback
· Another 200-yard game, another Player of the Week Award for Derrick Henry
· Injury shelves Ravens cornerback Anthony Averett
· Falcons add Shyheim Carter to practice squad
· Washington Football Team set to add another former Alabama player
· Dolphins to start Tua Tagovailoa at quarterback after bye
· Philadelphia Eagles ‘to continue to explore’ Jalen Hurts’ role
· If the sky is falling in New England, Cam Newton says he has an umbrella
· Kenyan Drake, Dre Kirkpatrick pace Cardinals’ rout of Cowboys
· Tampa Bay trades for former Troy standout
· State NFL roundup: Philip Rivers triggers Colts’ comeback
· Auburn NFL roundup: Cam Newton making no excuses
· Alabama NFL roundup: Derrick Henry runs for 212 yards in Titans’ overtime win
· Why did Tua Tagovailoa return to the field alone after his NFL debut?
· Check out Tua Tagovailoa’s first NFL pass
· See Jamel Dean intercept Aaron Rodgers, score his first NFL touchdown
· Watch Cam Sims score his first NFL touchdown
· Check out Derrick Henry’s 94-yard touchdown run
· Watch Minkah Fitzpatrick’s return to the end zone